My trip to Kuala Lumpur

Aug 2016

Making of the travel plan

First things first, I love to travel. I dream about travelling all the time. There were so many obstacles in my way when I was planning this trip. When I finally boarded the plane I couldn’t believe it. I was about to get married in November and I had to get away for one last single trip before getting married. My plan was to travel abroad with a group of strangers. In the start of March 2016, I saw an advertisement of a group tour to Maldives and Bali. I called and signed up for it. A month later, the company called me to tell that they didn’t get the expected response. So they cancelled it. As heartbroken as I was, I started looking for other group tours. I found a university group tour to Indonesia, flying from Karachi. I called them to ask if I could join even though I’m not a student in that university. They said they’ll accommodate me and once again I saw a ray of hope. But once again for some reason, I don’t even remember now they had to cancel. It was exasperating. It was May now and my craving to travel wasn’t letting me be. I took a weekend trip to a northern area of my country but the need to cross borders was still making me restless. It was around June that I found another group tour leaving for Malaysia and Thailand. And again I signed up for it.

 Finally boarded the plane…

After many other issues and a lot of fighting, begging, crying, emotional blackmailing and threatening, I finally boarded the plane to Kuala Lumpur on 27th August 2016. It was a connecting flight. We landed in Bangkok early morning and then after a few hours stop over, we flew to Kuala Lumpur. And when I say we I don’t mean a group, that never happened. It was me and another girl from another part of my country. She was about five years older than me, an architect, married and teaching in a university.

 Kuala Lumpur from my eyes…

Furama Hotel in Bukit Bintang

After getting cleared from the immigration, claiming our baggage we finally came out. And then we found out that our transfer that was supposed to be arranged by our travel agent back in Pakistan hadn’t arrived. We took a taxi to our hotel. I stayed at Furama hotel in Bukit Bintang. For some reason, I like the sound of Bukit Bintang. I keep saying it even when it was so obviously unnecessary. Anyway, our room was on 24th floor. The lift was too fast. Whenever I went up or down my ears would start acting funny. I loved the room. Those of you who travel a lot would know that wanting-to-dance like feeling after seeing your room know exactly what I was feeling then. Also, there was a waiter from Bangladesh who was very sweet and also he knew a bit of Urdu (my mother tongue).

 Exploring the city…

I rested for a couple of hours and then I went to explore the city a bit. I went to a chocolate gallery ‘Cocoa Boutique’, bought some chocolates from there. And after that I went to Kuala Lumpur tower, then I went to China market and I went a little crazy over there. At that point in life, some people used to call me a shopaholic. But I’d like to think that it’s just that I was a firm believer in retail therapy. Anyway, that situation is under control now. After china market, I saw the Petronas towers only from outside, and finally, we went for dinner. I was tired but seeing new places makes me feel fresh. And, some shopping didn’t hurt either.

Highlight of the trip: Cameron Highlands

I headed back to the hotel and next day I was supposed to go to Genting Highlands but I wanted to see tea plantation. So I begged my tour organiser to take me to Cameron Highlands instead of Genting. He said I’ll have to pay extra for that and I happily agreed. This was that point in life when my father took care of all my finances. So I didn't care much about money. And to be honest, it was worth it. Cameron Highland was the best part of this travel. Next day I woke up at eight in the morning, got ready, had breakfast and left for Cameron Highlands. First, I stopped at this beautiful waterfall for a few minutes. I took some pictures and then went to roadside shops and bought a few things, again, (Sigh!). It was almost a three-hour ride from city to the tea plantation farms. On my way, I stopped at the strawberry farms and picked strawberries which I later ate with Nutella.

Tea plantation…

When I finally saw the tea farms, I was speechless. It was like a seven-course meal for my nature loving personality. And now that we are talking about that I have to say that I was a little bummed seeing only buildings and no nature in Kuala Lumpur. I know, I know, what else was I expecting? I should’ve known. I wanted so badly to travel that I had to compromise on my preferences. I managed my expectations and still had a good time. But what I really actually love is mountains, waterfalls, farms and greenery. But after seeing Cameron Highlands my soul was dancing. I loved it. After getting lost in the farms and then finding my way back I had iced tea from a café nearby. Then I headed back to the city.

Petronas Towers

Next day early morning it started raining. I know a lot of people don’t like when it rains because of it kind of ruins their plans. But I love rain even if it ruins my plan (being an introvert I may even say that ‘especially when it ruins my plan’). Anyway, I went to china market again to buy a suitcase to fit all the stuff I had bought. Now I had two suitcases and my biggest concern was to manage my luggage’s weight. After china market, I went to Petronas again to see it from the inside. I had bought tickets to the sky bridge and the observer deck on 87th floor. I had a nice time there. I did some more shopping (Don’t jealous!) and went back to the hotel.

Last few hours…

This was my last night in Kuala Lumpur. There was a massage centre in front of my hotel. I was tired and I didn’t want to sleep so I went for a full body massage for the first time in my life. And it was oh-so-amazing. I felt all energised again so I went back to my room packed all my stuff meticulously trying to be all organised.
Next day I said my goodbyes to this country on its independence day (i.e. 31st August). And headed to my next destination.

Hira Ahmed

I’m a 25 years old girl from Pakistan. I have a dream of traveling the world. I connect with places on a very deep level and I also derive pleasure from sharing my travel experiences.