Mexico City´s travel guide
January 1, 1970
Introducing the big city.
If you are willing to come visit Mexico City, let me tell you something: it is one of the biggest cities in the world!
So you have to be prepared because here you will find an incredible mixture of people, culture, places and views.
In this article, you will find a helpful travel guide to know some of the top places to visit in Mexico City.
Mexico City is full of contrasts and welcoming people so I´m sure you will have a lot of fun and you will absolutely fall in love with it.
Things to do.
There are many things to do in this city, it really depends on which type of activities you are looking for, but I´ll try to mention the most fun and beautiful places to visit here.
They really are a must! Mexico is full of history and cultures to learn about, and the most amazing part about them is that our museums aren´t an expensive option, so you will be able to visit a lot of them if this is your kind of activity. Let me give you a list of some of my favorite ones:
- Museo del Palacio de Bellas Artes: This beautiful building was the first Art Museum in Mexico. In here you will find gorgeous murals of the Mexican painters Diego Rivera and José Clemente Orozco. It always has incredible temporal exhibitions and activities for all kind of people.
- Museo Nacional de Antropología: This museum is probably the largest and most important in Mexico. It has 23 permanent expositions full with ancient archeology from Mexican cultures.
- Museo Casa Estudio Diego Rivera y Frida Kahlo: Frida and Diego are the most famous and talented marriage of Mexican artists. Could you imagine how great it is to admire their work and house at the same time? The museum is mostly about Frida Kahlo´s art, but this is definitely the perfect place to learn about Mexican art and the creative universe of this talented couple.
- Soumaya: This museum was created by the wealthiest Mexican men in the world, Carlos Slim. Besides its amazing architecture, I find it very interesting because it holds European works from the 15th to the 20th centuries, it holds a big collection of incredible sculptures by Auguste Rodin and Salvador Dalí.
- Museo Universitario de Arte Contemporáneo (MUAC): Located on the campus of the biggest public college in Mexico, this museum is the perfect place for contemporary art lovers. It offers a special price on Tuesdays and Sundays, so those would be the best days to visit this incredible museum.
It is true that Mexican people really know how to have fun and party hard, so if you´re coming to this big city, you can´t miss a night out here.
Mexico City is full of clubs and fun places. If you want to have fun and scream as hard as you can while you watch a professional wrestling, you must go to the Lucha Libre at the Arena México. It is such an incredible experience, full of culture, history, and lots of fun.
One of the most famous spots for the nightlife is the Condesa neighborhood, a place where you see more than 10 bars and restaurants in one single block, so I´m pretty sure you´ll find one that suits you well. Another cool neighborhoods are Roma and Zona Rosa.
Another option, if you like dancing, is Mama Rumba. A dancing club with a live orchestra that plays Cuban music all night long. A similar option is Mambo Café, this is the perfect place if you like dancing salsa but also enjoy the popular music of the moment.
Have you ever imagine partying in the middle of a lake? The perfect place for having fun and knowing more about Mexican culture is the Trajineras in Xochimilco. Here you will find a lot of young people, but also families enjoying the day with some drinks, food, music and even mariachi. The mood and atmosphere here make the perfect combination of culture and party.
Speaking of mariachi, if you enjoy this music, you can´t miss going to Garibaldi. This is a place where different Mariachi aggrupations gather and play their music all day. I would recommend yo to eat at The Tenampa restaurant, it is the perfect place to try Mexican food, enjoy the typical mariachi songs and to try a good tequila.
- Historic Center (downtown): Enjoy a walk in the zocalo, the main plaza of the city. Admire the beautiful constructions, watch the Diego Rivera´s murals at the National Palace, enjoy the beautiful Cathedral, take a look at the ruins of the Templo Mayor and its museum. Go to the top of the Latin American Tower and enjoy a panoramic view of the city. Take a walk at the Alameda Park, trust me, there are lots of things to do here!
- Bosque de Chapultepec: This is one of the largest parks in the city. Here you will find the Chapultepec Castle, a beautiful 18th-century palace that used to serve as the Mexican president´s home. Since it is at the top of a hill, you will get an incredible view of the city.
Another point of interest in Chapultepec, is the zoo and museums nearby.
- Paseo de la Reforma: We´re talking about one of the most beautiful avenues of the city. Here you will be able to see the Angel of Independence, one of the most famous monuments in the city.
- Teotihuacan: This is an archaeological complex that will amuse you! Here you will visit two pyramids, and learn about the Prehispanic culture and life in Mexico.
- Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mexican people are strong believers of the Virgin Mary, this is a Roman catholic church built in its honor and is a great point of interest in the city.
Our gastronomy is truly delicious! You can´t miss trying our pozole, tacos, enchiladas, mole, chilaquiles, pambazos, quesadillas, so many good things! Get ready for our spicy sauces and don´t forget to bring some effervescent tablets, because our food is delicious but difficult to digest if you aren´t used to it.
It is really easy to move in this city. Public transportation can take you to almost every place for a really low price. But you have to be mentally prepared because, as in almost every big city, the traffic can be horrible sometimes.
The city has the services of subway, buses, metrobus, taxis, bike rental, and Uber.
I strongly recommend you to download the free apps “Stylemap CDMX” and “Mi CDMX”, they are the perfect travel apps for Mexico City. They both show all the good places near you and let you explore and get information about all the points of interest in the city.
A great Destination.
If you come to Mexico City, I promise you will have the time of your life and that it will be so worth it! The only thing you will ever regret will be not staying more days!