Mykonos is a world-known Greek island, and one of the favorite places of many celebrities. Even though there are many other Greek islands that are equally or even more beautiful than Mykonos, this one is the most popular among foreigners. People from America and Australia come all way through Mykonos, travel many hours to spend their summer vacation in this magnificent place. Since there are so many wealthy people from all over the globe, Mykonos is more expensive than other islands and places in Greece. If you have dreamed to spend your summer holiday on this VIP island, your dream may come true. I have recently traveled to Mykonos with a limited budget and had a great time. That’s why I would like to share with you tips for travelling to Mykonos and not spending a fortune, based from my personal experience:
Transport to the islandFlights to Mykonos are very expensive, no matter how early you book a flight. Depending on a country you live in, try to find the cheapest ways to come to Athens instead. If you live in Europe for example, you can find many low cost airlines that offer cheap flight deals. So, buy the airline tickets to Athens as early as you can. The cheapest way to travel from Athens to Mykonos is with a ferryboat, which takes around 4 hours. Of course, there are faster ferries but if you want to cut your transport costs, this is the best way to go.
Accommodation on MykonosThe cheapest accommodation in Mykonos is camping. Near one of the most popular beaches on Mykonos, Paradise beach, people often camp out. If you don’t like camping you can try to find cheaper apartments on Booking or Airbnb. Again, you need to book early. You can book at least 6 months in advance and get the lowest price. Many apartments have a free cancellation period, so if something comes up and you need to change travel dates, you can cancel the booking. Another tip for cheap accommodation in Mykonos is to travel with at least three of four friends. The more people are in an apartment, the cheaper is the accommodation. When it comes to location of your accommodation, it is better to stay in downtown or at least the outskirts of Chora. If you stay nearby one beach, far away from Chora you will spend more money on transport, every night. I stayed in Chora, 500m from the city centre and very close to the bus stop. I could go on foot at night and catch a bus to go to the beach during the day.
Where to Get Cheap Food and drinksBelieve it or not, food and drinks are more expensive at the beaches, than in the Mykonos downtown (Chora). So if you want to save some money on food and drinks, follow this steps:
- Bring some food with you, like cans and other breakfast food. If you live far away and you can’t bring food on plane, you can buy it in Athens, it is cheaper than on island.
- Have at least one or two meals in the apartment or bring sandwiches and wraps with you. There are small markets in Mykonos that are less expensive than restaurants.
- Avoid luxurious restaurants, there are several fast food stores in Mykonos chora where you can enjoy suvlaki at a lower price.
- Don’t eat and drink at the beach. Beach bars are the most expensive places on the island.
- Enjoy drinks in downtown. There are clubs with decent prices, where you can buy cocktails for 7 to 10 euros, beer for 5 euros or so. There are also some bars that offer one free drink.