One of the world’s most famous cities also known as the big apple, the city that never sleeps or as Alicia Keys once sang, “the concrete jungle where dreams are made of”. Ah yes, New York New York, so extraordinary they named it twice. This is a city where you will never experience boredom. There is a never-ending choice of things to do, sites to visit and places to eat & drink. No matter what corner of the city you walk to you are almost guaranteed to come across something spectacular. Here is a breakdown of places to visit, activities to do and best spots for food & drink.
Places to Visit
- The High Line
Located in lower Manhattan the High Line which was once a train track is now used as a walkway overlooking the city. The walk has beautiful views of the city streets, cool artwork, pretty plants, lemonade & ice cream stands and even an area to build Lego towers!
- 911 Memorial
What was once the twin towers is now a tribute to the thousands of men and women killed in the 911 attacks.
- Central Park
In a city as built up as New York it is a lovely breath of fresh air to have a park as beautiful as this one. Witness locals playing baseballs games, have a picnic at the Bethesda Fountain or visit Strawberry fields, a part of the park dedicated to John Lennon.
- Times Square
This can be a hectic place and it takes quite a while to make your way through the crowded streets. But witnessing the lights, buildings and chaos is a must do. If you’re looking for a place to shop, Forever 21 is the place to go! Madam Tussaud’s and Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museums will provide a few laughs or if it’s a tasty New York snack you’re craving then the famous Carlos bakery is the place to go! Tip: Pop into the Hersey’s shop for a free chocolate treat!
- Statue of Liberty
This ones an obvious one but it is something everyone must see when in NYC. Whilst there make a stop to Ellis Island – the gateway where millions of immigrants once came to the United States.
- Coney Island
This old fashion carnival park in Brooklyn is full of fun, complete with a giant Ferris wheel, carnival style games and lots of places to eat and drink. It’s also nice to have a day on the beach and escape the hustle and bustle of the city for a while.
There are so many interesting museums in the city to spend a day at. If you like history then the Natural History Museum is a must. If art is more your thing then the Metropolitan Museum of Art or The MoMA is the place to go.
Must do activities
- See a baseball game at Yankee Stadium – Keep an eye out for tickets in advance to avoid missing out.
- Rent and bike and a paddle boat in Central Park – Rent a bike and cycle to the lake in central park. From there rent a paddle boat for an hour for a very fun and peaceful experience.
- Have a cocktail on a rooftop bar – Good views and good drinks, why not?
- Experience a Broadway show – Tickets are expensive but worth it.
- Go shopping on 34th street – You will find Macys, Victorias Secret, H&M and every other shop you could dream of.
- Witness New York from the Top of the Rockefeller Centre – Get the best birds-eye view of the city.
- Enjoy a free concert – There are constantly free concerts in New York. Good Morning America have top acts from Hozier to Imagine Dragons performing on their show and invite the public to come along for free. They usually start filming at around 6 a.m but it’s worth it if it means seeing your favourite act perform live at no cost!
- Ride the world’s tallest roller-coaster at Six Flags – Catch the bus at Port Authority, where you can also buy your ticket, and take a trip to six flags in New Jersey. The park is home to Kingda Ka, the tallest and second fastest rollercoaster in the world! There’s one to tick off the bucket list.
- Boat party on the Hudson River – Best party in NYC by far! Enjoy the glittering lights of the Manhattan skyline whilst partying the night away on a boat.
- Enjoy a boozy brunch – Most places have a set price where you pay for your choice of brunch which includes approximately two hours of unlimited alcoholic drinks. Choose from classic brunch drinks like mimosas and bloody marys. Pancakes + alcohol = perfect start to the day!
- Eat your body weight in donuts, froyo and every other American snack! – It’s impossible not to!
Where to eat and drink
- PJ Clarkes on the Hudson – A real american style restaurant with a classic american menu. This place is located along the Hudson river with a great view of the Statue of Liberty.
- The Harlem Shake – Best burgers and peanut butter shakes ever!
- The Sugar Factory – A candy themed cocktail bar that also doubles as a candy shop! Yes please! Try the smores martini or the candy cotton cosmopolitan.
- Loopy Doopy – This small rooftop bar has the some great views of the city and also some of the best cocktails. Try the glass of Prosecco with a pimms ice-lolly placed inside it!
- Street Vendor – Believe it or not these are some of the best hot dogs and pizza slices going. Plus they are incredibly cheap. It’s a win-win situation!
I hope this guide helps you with making the most of your stay in New York City.
Thank you for reading!